Friday, June 14, 2019

Family activities parents should never take for granted

My name is Alpman Ilker. I’m husband and a father. Even though I have a full-time job, my family still takes priority over everything. I find it sad whenever I see parents who overlook the little things that make life worth living such as activities families can do together. With technology and smartphones taking up all our time and attention, it’s very easy to take for granted things that can bring families closer together.

Image source: kidgoals.com
Take for instance breakfast. I’ve often considered dinner to be the most important meal for a family because it’s where everyone gets to touch base after a long day – but breakfast is almost as important. It’s the time of day for families to share their plans for the day, and ask for assistance if they need any.

Image source: perspectivesoftroy.com
Another great activity, albeit one that requires constant supervision, is reorganizing furniture. I do it all the time. Sometimes, the wife and I even have our kids come up with the look of the living room before we move stuff around. It’s a great way to share our creative visions of what we want out of a house.

However, the ol’ Alpman Ilker favorite is one of the simplest things – a weekly family movie. What we do in the Ilker household is have one of us choose the movie of the week. After watching, we talk about the things we liked and didn’t like about it and how we would change the movie. It’s loads of fun.

Alpman Ilker here. I’m a general contractor at a construction firm in Denver, Colorado. Aside from being a contractor, I am a doting father, husband, and pet parent. For more updates, visit this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment